Head of EAL
Applications for this job are closed
Closing date of applications
17 May 2019
26 August 2019
Date Contract Ends
31 August 2021
Head of Subject
Ages 11-18 / Secondary
Fixed / Renewable
5 or more years experience
MCC General Information Pack
Malvern College Chengdu are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Teacher for the position of Head of EAL.
Malvern College Chengdu are looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Head of EAL.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development and delivery of the College’s vision and values. They will be a supportive member of the Senior School Team and help ensure the success of Malvern College Chengdu as a leading independent school in China.
- Lead the recruitment, retention and performance management of the English/EAL Department to ensure consistently high standards of teaching
- Maintain a departmental development plan with milestones for progressing towards the school's vision
- Plan and manage the resources of the English/EAL Department, e.g. co-ordinate the administrative support for the Department, develop the backup plan for absent colleagues, allocate teachers to sets consistent with their strengths and needs of the school
- Lead and manage a professional community of subject teachers to ensure the highest possible student attainment and progress
- Act as an ambassador for the English/EAL Department to the school, parents, visitors and other schools and contribute to the school’s public relations and marketing activities
- Develop, set up, manage and review the activities relating to the EAL curriculum for the whole school and for each academic level respectively
- Advise the Headmaster with regard to the allocation of teachers to classes within the English/EAL Department
- Be aware of academic and curricular changes affecting the subject and ensure that everyone in the Department is up-to-date
- Contribute to the overall curriculum planning of the school including attending Heads of Department meetings, Academic Committee meetings, etc
- Contribute to the delivery of whole school INSET on the subject of EAL
- Teach EAL throughout Malvern College Chengdu (Years 7 – 13) to IGCSE, IELTS and TOEFL
- Implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated English/EAL curriculum for students and to support a designated curriculum area as appropriate
- Be involved with other aspects of school life associated with the subject, such as organising appropriate educational trips and visits
- Develop Schemes of Work
- Play a part in the broader life and running of this international boarding school
- A degree in English language or literature and a recognised teaching qualification in English/EAL
- English proficiency at native level
- Experience of teaching EAL pupils in an international school or bi-lingual school is preferable
- Experience in curriculum development
- A successful track record of teaching IGCSE, IELTS and TOEFL is highly desirable
All applications for current vacancies listed below should be submitted online. Applicants are required to complete an online profile and supporting statement and upload a CV.
Applicants must provide details of three referees, of which one must be their most recent employer. If shortlisted, we will contact referees prior to interview.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview by Skype or in person, depending on the nature of the position and the applicant's location. The decision to appoint rests with the management of the individual school as the employer. Malvern College Chengdu reserves the right to appoint an outstanding candidate at any stage during the process.
Malvern College Chengdu exists to provide a quality all round education for pupils and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks.
For any enquiries regarding teaching vacancies in Malvern College Chengdu please email email@example.com.
Basic Requirements for All Teaching Positions (International)
- A degree in Education or a relevant subject area
- A recognized teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE, M.Ed)
- Minimum two years’ teaching experience in mainstream school setting
- Native level of English