Applications for this job are closed
Closing date of applications
30 June 2019
12 August 2019
Date Contract Ends
31 July 2021
Librarianship / Whole school
Librarian / Teacher
Ages 4-11 / Primary and
Ages 4-18 / Whole School
IB PYP / IB MYP
Fixed / Renewable
2 or more years experience
Full job description
Malvern College Hong Kong is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced PYP Teacher-Librarian, who has shared responsibility for the school library, working in close liaison with the MYP Teacher-Librarian, and overall responsibility for the delivery of PYP Information Literacy lessons.
The successful candidate will contribute to the development and delivery of the College’s vision and values. They will be a supportive member of the staff team to help ensure the success of Malvern College Hong Kong as a leading international school in Hong Kong.
- Provide the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the school library programme is aligned with the mission, goals and objectives of Malvern College and meets the requirements of the IB PYP programme;
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement effective units of inquiry to support interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary learning;
- Plan and deliver information literacy lessons to primary classes;
- Create inquiry-based classrooms that develop critical thinking skills, knowledge and a range of skills within an environment based on trust and respect;
- In liaison with the MYP Teacher-Librarian, manage and oversee library services including operation, policies and procedures, resources, and facilities;
- In liaison with the MYP Teacher-Librarian, supervise library staff and where applicable, volunteers and student librarians;
- Promote the school’s academic honesty policy and the ethical use of information;
- In liaison with the MYP Teacher-Librarian, manage the planning, administrative and budgetary functions of the library;
- Analyse and evaluate library and information services, technology and media service requirements;
- Prepare reports related to library and information services, technology and media services, resources and activities;
- Perform cataloguing and classification of print, audio-visual, electronic and online resources;
- Maintain inventories, compile statistics and generate reports as required;
- Provide library services in response to the information needs of library users; and
- Respond to daily on-site requests for information.
- A relevant degree and appropriate qualifications in librarianship;
- Experience in managing library services, ideally in the education sector;
- Experience in working in an international school setting;
- Experience in working in a PYP school;
- Experience or familiarity with a Library Management System (such as Destiny) is preferred;
- Ideally native English speaker; some Chinese helpful although not essential; and
- Strong administrative, organizational, and IT skills.
All applications for current vacancies listed below should be submitted online. Applicants are required to complete an online profile and supporting statement and upload a CV.
Applicants must provide details of three referees, of which one must be their most recent employer. If shortlisted, we will contact referees prior to interview.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview by Skype or in person, depending on the nature of the position and the applicant's location. The decision to appoint rests with the management of the individual school as the employer. Malvern College Hong Kong reserves the right to appoint an outstanding candidate at any stage during the process.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for pupils and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks.
For any enquiries regarding teaching vacancies in Malvern College Hong Kong please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic Requirements for All Teaching Positions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a relevant subject area
- A recognized teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE, M.Ed)
- Minimum two years’ teaching experience in mainstream school setting
- General teaching positoins: Native level of English
- Chinese teaching positions: Native level of Putonghua